The Secret Weapon

The Secret Weapon "How many attempts it takes to finally write a powerful story depends on two factors: your ability, and the difficulty of the stories you choose.  Neither reflects your own worth. Your current ability is a starting point only; what counts isn’t where you begin but where you finish." – Jon Franklin

It moved with me and then sat on an office shelf in our basement for years. I acquired what I’ll name “the secret weapon” several years ago at a college bookstore. It was one of several texts required for a feature news writing class. I don’t think I've ever been as excited about a nonfiction book as I am about this one. As a college student making my way through the class reading assignments, I remember thinking even then that this book would be so helpful when I write a book someday. It didn't make it to the bookstore buy-back. Instead, it got shoved with a bunch of other books, then sat collecting dust. 

What did I first do when I decided to write that book? I retrieved this secret weapon. ’s Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction by a Two-Time Pulitzer Prize Winner. The basic premise of the book is to use dramatic fiction form to write non-fiction feature stories. I turn Franklin’s premise back on itself, using his method of nonfiction feature-writing to write fiction. The book is incredibly helpful in teaching writing technique, but teaches it in a way that is not dry and boring. I find myself thinking as I read: Yes! Yes! So true! I've noticed this as well. Franklin puts into words what most writers may have, but can't describe. If you've ever wanted to know The Secret of Writing, start here.


Comments

Popular Posts